EFILING & ESERVICE FOR WASHINGTON D.C. SUperior Court
CaseFileXpress currently provides eFiling and eService for the D.C. Superior Court. Beginning October 24, 2022, the D.C. Superior Court will begin the transition from CaseFileXpress, and certain case types will no longer be available for eFiling and eService:
- Civil Division Cases, including Landlord/Tenant and Small Claim
- Civil Tax in the Tax Division
- Probate Division
- Officer of Auditor Master
Visit the D.C. Superior Court website for additional information about the eFiling Transition.
We’re excited to announce an all new eFiling tool coming soon to the D.C. Superior Court: File & Serve DC.
Step 1: Register
Registering is easy. Simply provide a little information about your organization and add any users who will need to file and/or access documents in a case. Registration is free. There is no charge to set up an account or to add users. File & ServeXpress offers an attorney and pro per registration process. Register Here >>
Step 2: Learn
Learn the step-by-step process of eFiling & eServing, and view the actual screens you will see when you create a transaction. You will even get tips and tricks provided straight from the court.
CFX – Training Videos
Look at our quick 2-5-minute training videos for our CaseFileXpress (CFX) platform. We’ll go over the core features of CFX as well as best practices for working more efficiently.
CFX – Downloads
CFX CA1 Petition Filing Guidelines
CFX Landlord Tenant Sealed Cases User Guide
FAQs & Webinars
File & ServeXpress (FSX) is dedicated to providing you with the tools and resources that you need to use our products efficiently and effectively. Our team of seasoned training professionals not only know our products, but are experienced at working with law firms to help them get the most out of their functionality.
Please make sure you visit our page often to see if there are new video tutorials, user guides, frequently asked questions, and on-demand webinars.
If you have any additional questions or need additional support, you can contact File & ServeXpress Client Support at 1.888.529.7587, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also email the FSX training team at email@example.com.
Q1: How do I register for CaseFileXpress?
Registering for CaseFileXpress is simple:
- Access the CaseFileXpress system at https://dc.casefilexpress.com/Registration/FilerDetails.aspx?NewRegistration=true
- Complete steps 1-4: Filer Details, Firm Details, Delegate Selection, and User ID/Password. *
- Click Create Account at the end of Step 4.
*You will be asked to enter a firm registration code. If you are registering in an existing firm, you should acquire the firm registration code from your firm’s CaseFileXpress firm manager, or, you can request it from File & ServeXpress customer support at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-433-4533. If your firm is not registered within the CaseFileXpress system you must create a firm registration code and complete the Firm Details tab.
Q2: What if I cannot register because my bar number is not in the Court’s system or I am a new member to the DC Bar?
When you register within the CaseFileXpress system, we validate your bar number with the Court’s case management system. We will notify you immediately if your bar number cannot be validated. Please contact the clerk’s office by phone at 202-879-1133 or email email@example.com with your full name, business address, business phone and fax number, DC bar number, and email address. Once the clerk’s office adds your bar number to their case management system, you may register and eFile through CaseFileXpress to the Court.
Q3: I forgot my user ID and/or password?
Simply click on the appropriate link on the CaseFileXpress login page. After answering your challenge questions, your user ID and/or password will be emailed to the email address in your CaseFileXpress profile.
Q4: Can I change my user ID and password?
Your user ID cannot be changed, but you may change your password anytime and as often as necessary.
To change your password, click on Change Password under the Account Setting menu on your Dashboard. Create the new password and submit. For questions regarding your user ID, you may contact File & ServeXpress customer support at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-433-4533.
Q5: How do I update my account profile information?
Once logged in to CaseFileXpress, click on View/Update Profile under Account Settings on your Dashboard.
Q1: How are Fees calculated?
See below for Pricing:
- Regular Filing: eFiling fees are calculated by adding the court filing fee (if applicable) + CaseFileXpress fee ($15.00) + a (2.5% + $1) processing fee to NIC.
- Discovery Service Only: $8.50 + a (2.5% + $1) processing fee to NIC, regardless of the number of attorneys served, up to 30 MB per transmission.
- Batch Filing Fee: eFiling fees are calculated by adding the court filing fee (if applicable) + $62.50 + a (2.5% + $1) processing fee to NIC – up to 25 Small Claims or Landlord tenant filings per batch.
Q2: Does File & ServeXpress charge for an electronic filing rejected by the court?
No. Electronic filings rejected by the court clerk are not assessed a CaseFileXpress or court fee. If your filing is rejected you must resubmit as soon as practicable, your rejected filing does not get docketed.
Q3: How do I update payment information?
Once logged in to the CaseFileXpress system, click on Change Payment Information under Account Settings on your dashboard. If your firm’s payment information is locked, only your firm administrator may modify your firm’s payment information. If your firm has a monthly invoicing with File & ServeXpress, only a Firm Administrator has access to the payment information. However, you may override the firm’s account and add a different credit card on the Confirm & Submit screen at the time of submission.
Q4: What payment options do you offer?
File & ServeXpress accepts American Express, Visa, and MasterCard credit cards, debit cards, and pre-paid debit cards for CaseFileXpress transactions. File & ServeXpress also offers monthly billing for firms/agencies with credit approval. Please contact customer support to request our credit application: email@example.com
Q5: If a person is not required to eFile, such as a self-represented litigant but chooses to be eServed are there any costs?
There is no cost to receive a filing, which was served upon you.
Q6: What are the choices for paying court and eFiling related fees? Is money paid in advance or at the time of eFiling?
Filers are able to pay per transaction with a credit or debit card (MC, Visa, Discover, AmEx) online at the time the transaction is submitted through CaseFileXpress. Additionally, filers who meet the filing requirements and a credit application are able to sign up for firm billing and receive a monthly invoice.
Q7: How does a filer obtain a receipt that shows all fees associated with a particular case and can be used as an attachment to a fee petition?
Filers are able to run reports, which show all filings on a particular case and associated fees. Filers can print the receipt provided at the time the transaction is accepted by the clerk’s office and for up to six months from the dashboard.
Q1: Does eFiling extend the filing deadline?
A: Yes. You may now eFile until 11:59:59 ET and your documents will be file stamped the same day if the clerk accepts your filing. The CaseFileXpress system captures the time and date immediately when you submit your filing successfully. Upon acceptance by the court clerk, a time and date stamp watermark will appear in the upper right-hand corner of your lead document. This will be the time and date of your submission. If the clerk rejects the filing, you must take corrective action and resubmit your entire filing. A rejected filing is not docketed by the court’s case management system
Q2: What proof will I have that I eFiled my document?
A: When you successfully submit your filing, you’ll receive an instant receipt with a date and time stamp and information about your filing. You will also receive an acknowledgement email upon submission if the court clerk reviews accepts your filing, you will receive a confirmation email and an electronic file stamped copy will be available from your dashboard.
Q3: What proof will I receive when sending eService?
A: The filer and the attorney of record sending the service will receive a proof of service email with an attached PDF document with details of the eService.
Q4: Who will receive eFiling notifications?
A: The filing attorney and the delegate who files on his/her behalf will receive an acknowledgement email when the document is submitted, and a confirmation email when the document is accepted by the clerk, or an alert email when the filing is rejected by the clerk. All notification emails will provide the trace number for the filing.
Q5: When do I file Certificates regarding discovery?
A: Pursuant to Rule Promulgation Order 07-04, effective September 4, 2007. Please click here to learn more: https://www.dccourts.gov/superior-court/rules
Note: Discovery is not served on the court unless it is necessary to a motion regarding the same.
Q6: Can I eFile Triple Seal Requests?
A: Yes, in Civil cases you may eFile Triple Seal Requests. Within the CaseFileXpress system, in Step 2 select Triple Seal Request as the document type and upload a Praecipe indicating the request for a Triple Seal. The clerk will mail the Triple Seal in approximately three (3) to four (4) days to the requesting party.
Q1: What if I forget my User ID and/or Password?
A: Access the login page for the CaseFileXpress system here. Click “Forgot your User ID” or “Forgot your Password.” We will send your user ID and/or a temporary password via email.
Q2: Can I correct an eFiling submitted with the wrong document type?
A: If your profile (user-id) allows the clerk to modify your document type, the court clerk’s office can/will correct the document type for you.
To ensure that you are set up to allow the clerk to modify your document type, edit your CaseFileXpress profile as follows: Access your account at https://dc.casefilexpress.com/Login.aspx, enter your CaseFileXpress user-id and password, click on “Change Profile” and check the box that says, “Allow the Clerk to Modify.”
Q3: Where can I get information about the DC Superior Courts?
A: Please refer to the DC Superior Courts website.
Landlord Tenant and Small Claims Batch Filing
FSX is offering the following Batch Filing Concierge Service.
Concierge Batch Filing Service:
- If the batch filing is unsuccessful due to a technical issue in CFX, our dedicated Concierge Team will work hands on with the firm to resolve the transmission issues. The firm will send FSX required information to the dedicated Batch Filing Service email address at: firstname.lastname@example.org The following information will be needed to submit the batch filing:
- A copy of the completed Excel batch template
- Corresponding documents in any of these accepted formats (Word, JPEG, TIF, TIFF, RTF, TXT, HTML, PDF)
- In the body of the email indicate:
- Contact information for the firm representative that will be available to answer questions and provide additional information.
- Credentials: the firm may elect to add a concierge team member temporarily to their account or provide other credentials. All of which they can control by editing resetting password and deleting.
- Preferred payment option.
- This information will be kept by FSX internally for use during the concierge batch filing service. Any updates or changes to these preferences must be communicated via the same email listed above.
- The Concierge Team will review the documents and data to ensure the batch adheres to the published Superior Court of the District of Columbia Civil Division – Landlord & Tenant eFiling Guidance
- The Concierge Team will identify and correct common errors, but at any time must be able to contact the firm if additional information is needed. Any technical errors we are unable to resolve will be immediately escalated to the CaseFileXpress technical team. The Concierge Team will take ownership of resolving the technical issues and communicating regularly with the attorney or designated representative.
- Upon successful submission of the batch, the Concierge Team will reply to the Requestor’s email to communicate the successful transmission and provide the appropriate trace numbers.
- All notifications and other details relating to the batch transmission will be available on the user’s dashboard and via email.
**Note: This service is only offered for CaseFileXpress Batch Filing.